Programs available for the BLAST search
The NCBI BLAST family of programs includes:
- compares an amino acid query sequence against a protein sequence
- compares a nucleotide query sequence translated in all reading frames
against a protein sequence database
There are some other blast search programs available at NCBI but due to the compatability issues of BacMet protein sequence databases to these search programs, blastn, tblastn and tblastx were not included in the user interface options.
- compares a nucleotide query sequence against a nucleotide sequence
- compares a protein query sequence against a nucleotide sequence database
dynamically translated in all reading frames
- compares the six-frame translations of a nucleotide query sequence
against the six-frame translations of a nucleotide sequence database.
Please note that tblastx program cannot be used with the nr database on the BLAST Web page.